Wednesday, October 27, 2021

St. Joe's Consecration Day 14 - The Vice of Sloth and the Virtue of Zeal

 

In the spiritual life, "acedia" (from the Greek for "lack of care") makes us indifferent, discouraged, and apathetic to the will of God. 

Joseph's life didn't go as planned . . . In the instant of hearing the (Good) news from Mary, his life became anything but simple. . . He was faced with knowing that he would be responsible to protect and raise the Son of God! In that instant, Joseph's plans went up in smoke.

We could give Joseph the benefit of a little moment of hesitancy--wondering if he were up to such a task. If Joseph were prone to acedia, this news could have sent Joseph down a path of life that was too much to bear, a life of discouragement, a life ultimately indifferent to the things of God, a life fleeing from union with God. Throughout scripture, however, we see Joseph's life as a life of action. 

. . . (His was) a heroic love of a man, husband, and father that led him to embrace a willingness to risk his life to protect (Mary and Jesus). 

From Consecration to Jesus through Saint Joseph:

An Integrated Look at the Holy Family

(pp. 49-50)

Bottaro and Settle

St. Joseph, Terror of Demons



Have you become discouraged with your life, your relationships, or your vocation when things don't go the way you planned? 

Yes:

  • Leaving medical school
  • Taking longer than I expected to realize my vocation 
  • The rocky start to my career

How can you open yourself to the Lord's encouraging will for you?

Remembering first and foremost how much He loves me. If I trust that the Lord's plans are by definition better for me than my own, I can be open to the Lord's will and free to take action to follow where He leads. 

How can even the "action" of a life of prayer help you to overcome apathy in your life?

Prayer is real work. It takes effort, planning, commitment. Prayer is not passive, even mental prayer. But prayer takes on a more active vibe when I do it communally: at Mass, at meals with friends, in small faith-sharing groups. But I need not wait for these social opportunities to be active in my prayer life. Every moment, I have a choice. 

When fatigue and the "noonday devil" hit me, what do I choose to do? Do I seek solace in some temporary distraction or mindless entertainment? Or do I choose to pray? Do I choose to let God be my strength? Do I reach out to Him and rest in Him and seek His counsel when my energy wanes? This will be the difference between my ability to live a life of action and zeal--or succumbing to sloth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment