Thursday, October 21, 2021

St. Joe's Consecration Day 8: The Vice of Pride and the Virtue of Humility

 When Joseph awoke from the dream, he humbly set aside his will to obey the will of God. "Instead of defending himself and demanding his rights, Joseph opts for a solution that represents an enormous sacrifice for him." (Pope Francis, homily December 23, 2013). Unlike Lucifer, who was dominated by pride, Joseph made a free and humble choice to serve God. 

From Consecration to Jesus through Saint Joseph:

An Integrated Look at the Holy Family

(p. 36)

Bottaro and Settle


How does pride manifest in my life?

Whenever I feel the need to defend myself, hide my weaknesses, and point out the flaws in other people. Whenever I feel the desire to draw attention to myself or feel slighted if others don't pay attention to me. When I go out of my way to seek validation and affirmation, feeling entitled to it from other human beings, who like me are themselves weak and carrying their own crosses. 

Do I struggle to admit sin in the Sacrament of Confession?

Though I readily to Confession with a sense of hope and resolve, I sometimes find it hard to say plainly my sins without long pre-ambles of context that I use to somehow minimize my culpability. I long to hate more my sin and in a spirit of humility present them straightforwardly to Jesus. 

Practicing honesty with brothers in the faith has helped me be more humble in Confession. Admitting my sin openly and plainly helps take away the sin's power. That is the way to freedom.  

Do I envy others for gifts I don't possess? Do I seek affirmation for my own gifts?

Yes. It's easy to turn life into a series of checkboxes to mark off. For example, the fact that I'm single leads me to envy the people around me who are married and have the gift of a spouse. In doing so, I ignore and commit less seriously to the work God is doing in my soul to prepare me to be with Him. I confuse the means for the end. 

Yes, I do seek affirmation. And I've noticed how resentful I can sometimes be if I'm not affirmed. This leads to distance and barriers in my relationships. 

Am I willing to yield to the will of God for my own life? Or do I seek only my will?

I am willing to yield to the will of God for my life. I long desperately to know and do His will. I know that His plans for me are better than anything I could dream up. I pray that I grow to trust more in God every day.  

Can I share one of my poverties with the Lord today? 

Procrastination. Out of fear or anxiety, I know that I can fail to plan ahead and make steady progress on my work or different responsibilities that I have in my personal life. This ultimately leads to unnecessary stress, conflict, and lower quality outcomes for me. Sometimes I'm dishonest with myself and others about how my deficiencies and idleness have led to difficult circumstances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment