Sunday, October 24, 2021

St. Joe's Consecration Day 11: Vice of Anger and Virtue of Kindness

Hebrews 5:1-3

Every high priest is taken from among men and made their representative before God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sin. He is able to deal patiently with the ignorant and erring, for he himself is beset by weakness and so, for this reason, must make sin offerings for himself as well as for the people.

Joel 2:13

For gracious and merciful is He, slow to anger, rich in kindness, and relenting in punishment. 


 "In the old days, people demanded 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth,' and to repay evil for evil. Patience was not yet on the earth, because faith was not on the earth either. Of course, impatience made full use of the opportunities the Law gave it. That was easy when the Lord and Master of patience was not here. But now that he has come and put the grace of faith together with patience, we are no longer allowed to attack someone even with a word—not even to call someone a fool without facing the danger of judgment. The Law found more than it lost when Christ said, 'Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven' (Matthew 5:44-45). This most important commandment summarizes in a word the universal discipline of patience, since it does not allow us to do evil even to people who deserve it."

— Tertullian 

A Year with the Church Fathers: Patristic Wisdom for Daily Living 

(p. 104)

The heart of St. Joseph was molded in these virtues (see Joel 2:13). The way he loved Jesus and Our Lady was from his kind and loving heart. . . As Our Lady was about to deliver Jesus, the kind heart of Jesus desired to protect Our Lady and the Son of God. His kindness to Our Lady provided her a place to rest and deliver Jesus. 

. . . What was the response of Herod's heart when he learned of the Savior's birth? "When Herod realized that he had been deceived by the magi, he became furious. He ordered the massacre of all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had ascertained from the magi. (Mathew 2:16). His response was anger, which led to death. The kindness of St. Joseph led to life!

Do you struggle with responding to frustrations or the unexpected with anger?

Yes, there are times when my initial response to frustrations or the unexpected is to want to blame or disparage someone as the cause for whatever challenge I'm experiencing. I can dwell on their deficiencies or character defects. Or I'll respond to minor frustrations by cursing under my breath. 

How do you show kindness to those around you? In your family? Among your friends? 

I show kindness by giving people the benefit of the doubt. When my first response might be to express anger or frustration, I try to pause and think about the extenuating circumstances and struggles that other people are experiencing. I try to reframe their words or behavior in a better light and respond to them in that better light. I try to assume good intent, even finding the words for that intent when other people aren't able to articulate that themselves. 

Over time I've gotten better at this habitual response, especially with my mom and dad, my sister and my brother. With my friends, I let go of my disappointment and pride and continue reaching out to them even if I sometimes feel unheard or unappreciated. I speak to them with good will and hope and cheerfulness, even when I don't initially feel like adopting such an attitude. 

Do you struggle with receiving the kindness of others? 

No. I think I receive kindness well. I can do better by saying a simple "Thank You," instead of explaining away or qualifying compliments. 

Do you show mercy and kindness to those who have wounded you? Or does your heart still harbor anger? 

Yes, I try very hard to. Sometimes those feelings of anger and resentment from woundedness bubble up, either in response to specific incidents or seemingly at random. I can't control these thoughts appearing. But I can do my best to recognize them for what they are -- the devil's tools for division, self-pity, and unforgiveness. 

Where anger still resides in your heart, let us open that place to the kindness of the Father and ask St. Joseph's intercession for our healing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment