Wednesday, October 20, 2021

St. Joe's Consecration Day 7: Personality Reformation

 Psalm 40:4; Psalm 1:1-2

Blessed are they who hope in the Lord.

Blessed the man who follows not

    the counsel of the wicked

Nor walks in the way of sinners,

    nor sits in the company of the insolent,

But delights in the law of the LORD

    and meditates on his law day and night.

Blessed are they who hope in the Lord


Joseph, who sacrificed his own physical sexuality for the good of his wife and God's plan for both of them, can come to our aid to help us make the sacrifices of love that we are called to make . . . As we unite ourselves more deeply to Christ, spiritually through our Baptism and psychologically through our growth in faith, we can be perfected by the motherhood of Mary and the fatherhood of Joseph, in the perfect school of love of the Holy Family. 

. . . Jesus develops in us, as he developed in the little home of Nazareth . . . This growth occurs in the watchful gaze and guidance of Mary and Joseph. They are our parents in the faith. 

Let's take Mary into our home as Joseph did, trusting in God's plan. 

Let's submit ourselves in silent prayer as Joseph did, in obedience to God's will. 

Let's make courageous decisions when prompted by the Spirit of God as Joseph did, even when they go against what we might feel like doing. 

Let's say "Yes" to God, that Jesus may grow within us and we may become the saints we are created to be. 

Sagrada Familia
Bartalome Esteban Murillo

What part of my personality have I let slide that is not in conformity with the saint God wants me to be? 

My sociability and extroversion, though often a great strength and gift for others, can also be the source of insecurity and distraction. Especially when this part of my personality becomes a mechanism for my own validation and comfort. When I rely too much on the company and attention of my friends and family, when I seek too quickly for their words, their warmth for strength and support, I fail to leave room for the God of infinite grace and mercy to direct me in His Way. 

Especially in moments of trial, suffering, stress, and fatigue, I can conform myself to God's mold and allow Jesus to grow within me if I but put myself in the right disposition for prayer: interior silence, humility, and gratitude for all the great work God is doing in my life and in the world. For salvation comes to us even now in the small moments. And the Kingdom of God is at hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment