Tuesday, October 26, 2021

St. Joe's Consecration Day 13 - Vice of Gluttony and Virtue of Temperance

 (Adam and Eve) grasped for more than what they needed, and as a result, perfect love expired from their hearts. . . Gluttony is a disordered desire, which abuses the legitimate pleasure God has attached to it.  It weakens the will. It fosters laziness and impurity. 

(By contrast, Mary) trusted the Lord would provide all that she needed, and that providence came through St. Joseph. 

St. Joseph was a stabilizing force in the life of Our Lady and Jesus. He was their protector and guard, but he was also a source of great love. His chaste love for Our Lady was given in temperance. Temperance . . . "ensures the will's mastery over instincts and keeps desires within the limits of what is honorable" (CCC 1809).

From Consecration to Jesus through Saint Joseph:

An Integrated Look at the Holy Family

(pp. 47-48)

Bottaro and Settle






Do you find yourself unsatisfied with the things you have been given?

Yes. Sometimes I wish I had a nicer car or lived in a nicer apartment. Sometimes I long for deeper friendships and romantic relationships. Or I read about new models of phones or laptops because I find the electronics I have now deficient or are just bored by them.  

Do you find yourself longing for more of something good? 

I know I have good, increasingly healthy friendships. But sometimes I want more to the point that I can neglect basic aspects of my life that require regular maintenance. 

Are you tempted to grasp for more than what you have?

Yes. A part of me still wants to be seen recognized for being special in some way. So I look to gadgets or clothes or other things to imbue that kind of distinction onto me. 

How can St. Joseph's model of temperance (attraction to a good but within the limits of what is honorable) be a witness of healthy balance in your life?

He chose the better and ultimately more powerful path because he placed the good before him below the ultimate good (God). St. Joseph trusted and believed in God's plan for him. In doing so, he saw the world for what it is and recognized the beauty and greater good of God's promise and love.  


No comments:

Post a Comment